Saturday, May 23, 2015

A Life With Your Best Friend

  
   Marriage is a delicate gift. It can be very difficult at times to create a harmonious balance between couples. This week I focused quite a bit on really studying the behaviors of both successful and unsuccessful marriages, and why things went haywire. My eyes were opened as I realized how my own parents have followed many of the steps to a successful marriage without realizing what they were doing. Throughout my life they have somehow nurtured a healthy relationship. How did they do this you may ask? It is simple.
   In a book called "The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work" by John M. Gottman, it speaks a lot about how the foundation of a healthy, thriving relationship is based on the friendship of the couple. A couple that takes time to laugh together, go on dates together, play with the kids together, plan, speak, study, and pray together. As I have worked on strengthening the relationships in my own life, I have depended on the core friendship, and built off of that. I have learned so much as I evaluate my situations and act accordingly.
When I was young, I would see my parents have disagreements, but they would always end up resolving the conflict, whether they went somewhere private and had a reasonable discussion, or they just ended up laughing and breaking the tension. When that friendship is strong, it will result in a beautiful, harmonious marriage. It is my goal to take the things I have learned from my own parents and carry it into the relationships I have in the future.
   Relationships between loved ones are essential for our happiness. I know that strengthening the bonds of marriage can come from communication and trust. These two principles are the key to a successful love story. Love your best friend. Cherish them, and focus on their needs. As they do the same for you, the beautiful, delicate marriage will bloom.

To find out more about what I believe:

No comments:

Post a Comment